Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mid-1980s playoff baseball had no equal - My Latest For The Hardball Times


In my latest article for The Hardball Times I make the case that the 1980s had the greatest stretch of post season baseball ever.

October baseball never was better than between 1985 and 1988 and year in and year out we not only had exciting games but also a few iconic moments that became legendary.

The 1980s might have been a maligned decade for baseball, but the Octobers were sublime… from “Go crazy folks” to “I don’t believe what I just saw.”

Read the article HERE.



Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right about this. The decade also got off to a great start in 1980 in what I think is the greatest playoff series of all time, the 1980 NLCS between the Phils and Astros. Four of the five games went into extra innings and there was drama and tension in every game. Oh, right, we can't call this the best ever because there was no iconic home run moment.

    Sorry for wasting your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read the comment section of the article, someone brought up the 1980 NLCS.

    I agreed that it was one of the greatest post season series of all time. Probably the most incredible Best of 5 Series ever played and if I were writing a piece about the greatest series ever... it would be front and center.

    The two greatest World Series I ever watched were 1991 and 2001, not mentioned in this article.

    But the point of this article was the amazing number of iconic games were clumped together in a 4 year span.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:02 AM

    Hello very cool website!! Man .. Beautiful ..
    Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?
    I'm happy to seek out numerous useful information right here within the post, we want develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

    Feel free to visit my web blog ... how to lose weight

    ReplyDelete