Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm no GM


Hey Red Sox fans…
You should be very happy that your friend Sully is NOT the GM of the Boston Red Sox.

That thought crossed my head when I saw Jacoby Ellsbury make a diving catch to preserve Jon Lester’s no hitter.

Had I been in charge, Ellsbury and Lester would be playing for the Minnesota Twins in the Johan Santana trade.

And I also thought back remembering that I would have signed Nomar Garciaparra to a long term deal…

Same with Pedro Martinez…

Same with Johnny Damon…

Same with Orlando Cabrera…

Now granted, I STILL think the Cabrera signing would have been solid.
Having him at short instead of Renteria in 2005, Alex Gonzalez in 2006 and Julio Lugo last year and this year would have been as good and less expensive… but I digress.

We’d be saddled with long term contracts with broken down untradable talent while sacrificing the future.

In other words, the Red Sox would look a lot like the Yankees wondering what the hell they are going to do with the Artists formerly known as Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon and Mike Mussina.

Thank God I only blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment