Friday, September 28, 2007

In honor of Jim Dwyer...

Jim Dwyer? Why would I be honoring a part time player who only spent 2 years with the Sox?

Why not Hall of Famer Bobby Doerr for whom the Red Sox retired #1?

Or Bernie Carbo who hit the big pinch hit homer in game 6 of the 1975 World Series?

I'll tell you.

In 1980 when I was 8, my family went to Winter Haven, Florida to see the Red Sox in spring training. And my brother Ted and I were running around getting autographs left and right. We got Reid Nichols, Julio Valdez, Stan Papi, Allen Ripley, Gary Allenson and my most prized scribble was from Butch Hobson and Johnny Pesky gave my brother a ball.

So my brother and I were leaning against a wall comparing autographs. As I was listing the players I heard a voice from behind me. "Do you have mine?"

We turned around and it was Jim Dwyer. I said "No!" and thought he was so cool. Now 27 years later I think he is even cooler. I have no idea how long he was standing behind two kids counting autographs but he waited for the perfect time to chime in.

Later as an Oriole, he hit a homer in the 1983 World Series and I was cheering for him, remembering the autograph.

So despite not having a Red Sox World Series highlight, nor being a Hall of Famer nor having your number retired... you get the honor.

THE MAGIC NUMBER IS 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment